Most computer power users probably open up the Windows task/process manager at least a few times each day. Maybe it’s to close down an app that isn’t responding, to see what’s eating your system resources, or maybe even a bit more advanced like making sure you’re aware of everything that’s running on your PC.
Yet Another Process Manager (YAPM) will help feed your addiction. It’s a .NET based application that elegantly uses the Office 2007 ribbon UI to put a lot of valuable data at your fingertips. There are two features that really made this stand out to me though. The first is the ability to identify the process that is associated with a particular window using a simple drag-and-drop motion. It can sometimes be tough to figure out which window belongs to which process, but YAPM makes it painless to figure it out.
The second thing I really like is being able to remotely monitor and manage all processes on another machine. In a business environment having a powerful process manager like this that can access dozens of other PC’s is extremely valuable.
And that is just the tip of the iceberg. Here are some of the other features the developer highlights:
- Module and thread management
- Handle management (keys, files…)
- View of TCP/UDP connections opened by the processes
- Window management (opacity, position, show, hide…)
- Emergency Hotkeys feature: allows to associate a custom shortcut to a custom action (for example: Ctrl+Shift+Suppr to close the window which is on foreground)
- Privilege management: allows to view and modify the privileges of processes
- Build-in hex editor to view memory of processes
- “Log mode” to monitor all actions made by a specific process
- Hidden Processes feature to detect basic rootkits
- Local and remote shutdown
- Dependency viewer
The app itself is pretty lightweight, but that’s mostly because it leverages .NET libraries for most of its tasks. If you’re okay with that then I’d say this is definitely worth checking out.